Sunday, August 22, 2010

Honeymoon Over????

If its possible for a 19 month old to have a "honeymoon" period, it ended this weekend.  Tinker Bell is a very determined and strong willed little girl.  Its her way or the highway.  Where at first she would pretty much go along with things, she now has her own schedule and her own agenda.  She looks out the back window and sees the swing, she will have a fit until someone takes her out back to swing.  If she decides whe wants to go swimming, she will harrass you with her swim floatie until you take her swimming.  If she wants a snack, she will bang on the pantry door until you pull out exactly what she wants even if you have already given her a snack just a few minutes ago.

I'm glad she's feeling comfortable enough with us to share her opinion, but it will be nice when her vocabulary catches up with her intellectual development so she doesn't have to fuss to get her point across.  She's a really smart baby, but we think that her speech is a little delayed.  It may be and most likely is enviromentally related, as she's sharp as can be as far as understanding and imitating things.  Everything we do, touch or see we are being very particular about saying the word to her and trying to get a response.  She tries really hard but still has a way to go.  Even our cats are "dogs" lol.  Lynsey had some M&M's today and I took one and broke it into 4 small pieces and let her try it, she LOVED it and wanted more and more.  So we tried getting her to say M&M, the most we could get was an "M", which was enough to earn her another one.  I think she got 5 in total.

Later after we had come in from playing and I had sat down to the computer, she's running back and forth from me and Hubby.  As she runs to me I say "Hola" (I've always tried to expose my kids to cultural and linguistic differences even though hubby and I are both caucasian English speakers) and she says back in a perfectly clear voice "Hola".  Who'd have thought that this little blonde hair blue eyed baby could speak perfectly clear Spanish????  LOL~~~  I don't really think there was anything to it except it was an easy and fun word to repeat (the reason I was saying it to her). 

Well, my vacation ends tonight, back to work for the first time since Tinker Bell arrived in the morning.  If you didn't already know, I telecommute 4 days per week, so it will be interesting to see how she adjusts to me working and "Pop" taking care of her.  Of course the kids still have a few weeks before school starts so they will be here as well.   Lynsey was 25 months old when I first started working from home and she learned quickly that "mommy has to work" means relying on Pop to meet the needs and that she couldn't come running back into my work area even though I'm visible from the across the house.    Tinker Bell is a little more stubborn and strong willed then my first and only previous baby girl, so we'll see how it goes this week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment